The Cockpit houses a unique, purpose built, black-box theatre. The theatre has a reputation for friendly service, supporting a well-respected, well-loved venue. We are confident you won't find better value hire opportunities inside the M25.
We have a number of spaces available for hire. Whether it's a show, rehearsal, photo or film shoot, auditions, band practice, writing session, seminar, ...we have a space for you.
Any prices quoted here are for guideline purposes only and are subject to negotiation. It can get cheaper the more hours/days you book.
How to hire a space:
- To hire the auditorium or bring a show to The Cockpit, email dave [at] thecockpit [dot] org [dot] uk
- To hire a studio within the next 7 days, call 020 7258 2925 (12-6pm, Monday-Saturday) - we take payment at the time of booking so please have a debit card ready.
- To hire a studio more than 7 days ahead or to enquire about making a regular booking, email studios [at] thecockpit [dot] org [dot] uk (Also, see the Studio Users' Guide)
The Auditorium is a large, versatile space seating up to 240 in-the-round, or 180 in our standard thrust configuration.
Size: Approximately 8.6m x 6.6m (28ft x 22ft) playing space in thrust.
Guideline costs: Public event: Around £475 for a 5.5 hour block (e.g. 17.00-22.30) including box office, bar, front of house facilities and staffing, etc. Price negotiable according to length of run, complexity and anticipated attendance of heavy drinkers. Additional get-in and rehearsal time is flexible and negotiable and the fee includes technical support to get you started. Additional technical support of every kind available.
Dry hire: Around £30 per hour for non-public events such as film and photographic shoots for example.
Studio 1 is a large bright room with heaps of natural daylight, a thick, Harlequin rehearsal dance floor, mirrored wall, and sound system with CD player and input for iPods. There is also a small room available for changing in. Since the above photo was taken, there are now curtains which can be drawn in front of the mirrors.
Size: Approximately 8m x 7m (26ft x 23ft)
Guideline cost: £20 per hour
Studio 2 is our smallest space and is used for small group rehearsals, auditions and readings. As an ex-recording studio, the space is suitable for recording, although please note that it is no longer entirely sound-proof.
Size: Main room, approximately 5m x 5m (16ft x16ft). Live room, approximately 2m x 2m (7ft x 7ft)
Guideline cost: £8 per hour
Studio 3 is a bright, tall room with four large skylights. It can be laid out with tables and chairs, or left clear. Whiteboards are available, and phone and internet connections can be provided.
Size: Approximately 5m x 6m (16ft x 20ft)
Guideline cost: £11 per hour
The Foyer is included as part of a show hire, but is also available independent of the auditorium for smaller events.
Guideline cost: £22 per hour with bar (minimum 4 hours) /£18 per hour without bar.
Note that the bar can only be operated by Cockpit staff and our small kitchen is not available for food storage or preparation.
All hires are governed by the house rules and a few basic principles:
- Please leave all spaces as you find them. There is cleaning equipment in every space. You are welcome to use the foyer to eat and drink. Please don't eat or drink in any of the spaces.
- Please allow time for setting up/clearing away your own equipment and add this to the time you are booking. If you book a space from 2.00pm you may not be able to get into it until 2.00pm. If you book a space till 4.00pm you will have to be cleared up and cleaned by 4.00pm. You can book quarter hours to cover this if you need to - though most people just stop a bit early to allow for a tidy up. You can move to the foyer cafe to chat.
- We don't know what you will be doing in the spaces. Please conduct your own risk assessments before you schedule activities. (None of the spaces have sprung floors.) You are welcome to visit us before you book to help with this.
- We don't have people on site to help move chairs or equipment you might bring. Please think ahead and be self sufficient when you get here, we will help all we can but are sometimes very busy.
We look forward to seeing you.